Monday 7 March 2011

Five Women

Everything that is good about me was shaped by women. Sure male friends and relations have had their influence, but it's the women who have really counted.

Margaret Meiehofer, my mother. Her example taught me that it is OK to be smart and that education is good for itself alone. She also showed me that caring for others is the one thing we must all do.

Helen "Nen" Meiehofer, my auntie who took me in when my mother died. This despite the fact that she had 10 kids of her own. She taught me the importance of supporting family and friends in hard times. She also showed me that REAL love is expressed in practical terms rather than through hearts and flowers.

Carolyn Forrester, my first wife. She gave me the confidence to return to University to complete my education and a belief in my intellectual abilities.

Chrissie Carmouche, my best friend. She convinced me (by plucking me from obscurity to take her place as Secretary of the largest Trade Union branch in Western Europe) that I could make a positive contribution to public life. I have gone on to be a National Chair in the largest union in the United Kingdom, be Secretary of the Scottish Branch of the Trading Standards Institute and soon to be National Chair of TSI (subject to the democratic process)

Elizabeth Meiehofer, my wife. She got me to believe in myself once more when my ego had taken some hard knocks. Together we have raised our fine son and we have faced redundancy and cancer and beaten them both.

I think if we are honest, most of us owe a lot to the women in our life so on this International Women's Day let us celebrate and give thanks to our mothers, wives, daughters, cousins and friends for the joy and comfort they bring to this world and maybe we blokes should try just a little harder to make their lives easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment