Tuesday 4 January 2011

BBC and the Ibrox Disaster

I was astonished to discover that BBC Scotland was not showing live coverage of the Ibrox Disaster memorial service on TV. It appears that the Saints and Scroungers show hosted by Don from the One Show was more important. I discovered later that the service was shown online and also by Sky Sports. Hard lines if you don’t have a computer or Sky subscription.

I turned to the radio and thankfully BBC Radio Scotland was covering the event. One part of the service that I thought would be particularly important, especially for any friends or relatives of victims unable to attend was the reading of the names by John Grieg and Walter Smith. Well tough for the listeners as the commentators spoke over this. The names were read out by two BBC announcers at the end. I suspect this was because the Beeb had received telephone complaints, but I’m sure most people, like me, would have preferred to hear what the people at Ibrox heard.

Then the two minutes silence started. Only, we had to guess because the commentators failed to announce this.

In making these decisions the BBC has demonstrated crass insensitivity and editorial incompetence. Quite simply they misread the mood of a nation.

This is all the more amazing since in the run up to the anniversary BBC coverage of this topic has been excellent. They had a special documentary and nightly reports on Reporting Scotland as well as frequent references on radio news.

Isn’t it bewildering that News International got it right whilst the BBC got it so wrong? I do not have a Sky subscription but do pay a BBC licence fee. They have let me and all other licence payers down.

The BBC owes the Scottish people an apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment