Wednesday 5 January 2011

Addicted to Facebook?

I have been an admirer of Ruth Wishart’s writing, but have to say that her latest column on Facebook seemed just a little lazy; it can be difficult to work over the holiday season.

Ms Wishart concedes some of the advantages of Facebook. Certainly it has enabled me to establish contact with many people I haven’t seen for years. Most important has been the fact that I now speak almost daily with a cousin in Australia whom I have not seen since 1973. In addition I have been able to establish a network of contacts across the globe with whom I have a laugh and a joke every day. Also, we exchange views on politics, music, cinema and so on. Frankly I rely more on Facebook friend reviews than on the professionals (Except of course for the marvellous Mark Kermode; oops I forgot, he’s a Facebook friend).

I am currently recovering from an operation. Facebook has allowed me to keep people up to date on my progress without making hundreds of phone calls, emails etc. I was even able to do this from my hospital bed using a mobile phone. My spirits have been greatly lifted by all of the messages of support and encouragement I have received.

Am I addicted to Facebook? Yes probably, but no more than those who spend hours on the phone or down the pub are addicted. I am also addicted to cigarettes and I suspect they are a lot more harmful.

In the end, Facebook is a bit of fun. If it’s not your bag, fair enough, but do not try to impose your choices on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment