Wednesday 15 December 2010

Private Good: Public Bad

After three decades in the public sector I get a bit tired of hearing how we've all got it soft. We all need the discipline of business. We need to be more "customer focused".

Despite my ennui, isn't their criticism reasonable. Is it not the case that big business does it better, else they simply would go out of business?

Michelle Mone (you know her that got lucky flogging a few bras) berated the Scottish Government over the recent snow crisis. She said that if she ran her business as badly, she would go bankrupt.

Maybe she has a point. But how have the public and private sectors reacted to this crisis and its possible return. Well the Government, local authorities and police have joined together to produce a plan to keep the country moving. At the same time, Tesco, ASDA and Sainsbury's have simply halted online deliveries in Scotland. Can you imagine the reaction if the public sector did that?

"Oh sorry we can't send an ambulance to deal with your husband's cardiac arrest; we've suspended services in your area".

I had a personal experience which illustrated how well the private sector responds.

A couple of days ago the rear windscreen of my car shattered. My insurance company connected my wife through to their windscreen repair partner. They then said they could fit a temporary windscreen in THREE days. Yes that's three days. The appointed day is also the day I have a major operation. This cut no ice with the company's operator who simply said that was the earliest appointment available. The proper windscreen will be fitted in 10 days and our appointment is for 4.00 a.m. Yes, you got it four o'clock in the morning; in December; in Scotland. In the meantime my car is covered in polythene to protect from the elements. It cannot be used, so just as well I can't get to work. I could go elsewhere of course, but that would cost me hundreds of pounds, instead of getting my dues from the insurance company.

At a course, I was told that we shouldn't treat the public like customers. I said no; they are citizens. Asked the difference, I replied that citizens have a RIGHT to service, whereas customers are served or not at the whim of the provider' the only discipline being that of market competition. Others at this course poured scorn on this notion and indeed insisted that they had a legal right to service from a private company.

This week's events prove that this is not true. Whilst Tesco et al have given up the ghost, public sector workers will continue their heroic efforts to ensure that the public receive their services and that the vulnerable are protected.

Private good; public bad? Are you !"£$%^& joking?

No comments:

Post a Comment