Monday 3 August 2009

A Rant About Talking In The Wrong Place

I’ve had a pretty bad hang up for some time now. People who talk at the wrong time really bug me. In the cinema, in the theatre, at a gig; honestly the yakking just never stops!
There was a very disturbing story on the news in the last few days. A woman in a restaurant in Leeds had bleach thrown into her face causing injury to her eyes. The incident allegedly took place shortly after she had objected to some youths making a noise during a screening of the latest Harry Potter. How dare she interrupt this conversation? She selfishly supposed that she ought to be able to enjoy the film in peace having paid for the privilege.
Few of us have any such luck these days. We have to put up with the disruptive children which parents fail to control, the mobile phone conversations, the inane “catching up” and the commentary from the know it all who has seen it before.
A few examples.
At Carmen two women insisted on talking through the subtle entr’acte.
At the New York Dolls a bunch of drunks stood next to me shouting every few seconds about how great the Dolls are.
I objected to a woman talking on her mobile in the cinema. She told me she hadn’t talked to her son for a while.
When I asked two other women not to talk during a French film they pointed out that it was subtitled.
I went to a musical show (won’t say which as this is a bit of a plot spoiler) where some of the cast stand at the back of the stalls near the end; you guessed, they were talking.
I paid $110 to see the Lion King in New York and people talked through that.
Objection can be a tricky business. When I remonstrated with a couple during a concert the guy stared at me in a threatening manner for a long time, then the couple spent the rest of the gig simulating sex acts.
Am I being too po’ faced. The simple answer is no. I pay good money for my culture and I want to enjoy it.
So folks how about switching off your mobiles, going to the pub or café if you want to catch up with your mates, not bringing your 3 year olds to what are clearly adult 12A films and, dare I say it, just being considerate?
In the words of the Brakes number
“Why don’t you just shut the !”£$ up. I’m here to see the band.”

No comments:

Post a Comment